Driver Services

All members of the foreign diplomatic community and their bona fide dependents (i.e., those who enjoy immunity from criminal and civil jurisdiction in the United States) are required to be licensed by the U.S. Department of State. This office issues a license to an individual after he/she has been tested by the DMV which services the jurisdiction in which he/she lives. The residential state in which the diplomat resides will provides testing and certifyies the results forto the Department, but no longer will not license s these persons.

This office maintains an "on-line" database which contains the driver history of all individuals who are licensed by the Department. An individual's driving record contains the following information:

the individual's name

license number

class of license and restrictions, if any

status of the license

previous U.S. license, if any

previous foreign license, if any

a list of moving violations, if any, to include violations recorded against a previous license issued by one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia

accident involvement, if any, to include accident involvement recorded against a previous license issued by one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia.

The driving record of any individual licensed by this office will be provided , at no cost, to a concerned insurance carrier or its bona fide agent. Requests for driving records must be in writing and on company letterhead. Records may be obtained, free of charge, by telephone, telefax, or by writing to:

Driver Services
Diplomatic Motor Vehicle Office
3507 International Place, NW
Washington, DC 20008522-3303

TELEFAX: (202) 895-3646

[This is a mobile copy of Driver Services]

Short URL: