Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton Holds "Global Townterview"
On Tuesday, January 29th, Secretary Clinton will hold a “Global Townterview” at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. The event is designed to expand on the success of the town halls Secretary Clinton has held all over the world.
The Townterview will be moderated by Leigh Sales of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), and will include six regional media partners linking via satellite from the following locations:
- Middle East Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) in Beirut, Lebanon, with anchor Muna AbuSulayman
- Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK) in Tokyo, Japan, with anchor Kenji Kohno
- Nuestra Tele Noticias 24 Horas (NTN24) in Bogota, with anchor Andrea Bernal Garzon
- New Delhi Television (NDTV) in New Delhi, India, with anchor Barkha Dutt
- Channels TV in Lagos, Nigeria, with anchor Maupe Ogun
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in London, United Kingdom, with anchor Ros Atkins
Any media outlet in the world can pull the satellite feed, and the event is fully open to the press. Please see media note for satellite information: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2013/01/203337.htm
Connecting with Secretary Clinton at the Global Townterview
- Each network and their audience will ask Secretary Clinton questions during the event via satellite.
- The Townterview will incorporate many social media platforms: Twitter users will be able to submit questions via the various State Department Twitter feeds, and the event will be live-tweeted in 11 different languages (English, Spanish, French, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Turkish, Portuguese, Chinese, Russian, and Farsi). Others from around the world will be participating through Facebook, YouTube, and Skype.
- The 150-person audience at the Newseum will include young diplomats from local missions and embassies in Washington, and students from the State Department’s new class of Foreign Service Officers.