U.S. General Services Administration Invites You to a Public Meeting for the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Foreign Affairs Security Training Center
The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) announces as per the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 42 U.S. Code § 4231 et seq (NEPA); Council on Environmental Quality Regulations [40 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Parts 1500-1508]) the availability of a Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The Draft EIS analyzes and assesses the environmental impacts of site acquisition and development of the U.S. Department of State (DOS), Bureau of Diplomatic Security, Foreign Affairs Security Training Center (FASTC) at the Virginia Army National Guard's Maneuver Training Center at Fort Pickett and Nottoway County’s Pickett Park in Nottoway County, Virginia. Two build alternatives and a no action alternative have been evaluated in the Draft EIS. The proposed FASTC is expected to train 8,000-10,000 students per year. The project includes driving tracks, firing ranges, mock urban environments, explosives ranges, classrooms, simulation labs, a fitness center, administrative offices, dormitories, and a dining hall. Printed copies of the Draft EIS can be reviewed at online at http://www.state.gov/recovery/fastc or printed copies can be reviewed at the following locations:
- · Nottoway County - Louis Spencer Epes Memorial Library, 415 South Main St, Blackstone, VA
- · Amelia County - James L. Hamner Public Library 16351 Dunn St, Amelia, VA
- · Brunswick County - Brunswick County Library 133 W. Hicks St, Lawrenceville, VA
- · Dinwiddie County – Dinwiddie Library 14103 Boydton Plank Rd, Dinwiddie, VA
- · Lunenburg County – Ripberger Library 117 South Broad St. Kenbridge, VA
- · Prince Edward County – Prince Edward Community Library, 1303 West 3rd St, Farmville VA
- · Chesterfield County – Central Library, 9501 Lori Road, Chesterfield, VA
- · Mecklenburg County - Southside Regional Library, 316 Washington Street, Boydton, VA 23917
Public Information Meeting – Wednesday November 7
Blackstone Conference and Retreat Center, Dining Hall
707 Fourth Street, Blackstone, VA
GSA will be holding a public meeting on Wednesday, November 7, to provide a summary of the findings of the Draft EIS and to provide an opportunity for citizens and federal, state, and local agencies to provide comments on the Draft EIS. There will be an Open House from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Dining Hall where there will be displays available for review. GSA and DOS staff will be present to answer questions. There will also be a Presentation in the Auditorium from 7:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Comment cards and a stenographer will be available to submit formal comments.
A 45-day public review and comment period on the Draft EIS begins October 26 and ends December 10, 2012. Your participation is important. Please submit all comments by December 10, 2012.
Comments on the Draft EIS can be submitted three ways: 1)Via the FASTC email: FASTC.firstname.lastname@example.org, 2) written or oral (recorded by a stenographer) comments submitted at the public meeting, or 3) mailed to: Ms. Abigail Low, GSA Project Manager, 20 N 8th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107.