Foreign Operations Appropriated Assistance: Ukraine
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Coordinator's Office Annual Reports»
ASSISTANCE GOALS: The United States Government strives to help Ukraine continue its transformation into a free-market, democratic society. The priorities of USG assistance are to strengthen democratic institutions and processes, deepen market reforms, and advance Ukraine’s integration into Euro-Atlantic structures. This includes promoting the adherence of security, legal and law enforcement practices to European standards, strengthening the rule of law, fighting corruption, bolstering civil society and independent media, and advancing the development of market economic mechanisms. USG assistance also seeks to combat trafficking in persons (TIP), improve energy security, and provide humanitarian assistance.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
Peace and Security (P&S)
- Counter weapons of mass destruction (WMD) proliferation and combat WMD terrorism through effective oversight of Ukraine’s nuclear facilities, strengthened border controls, and enhanced detection and interdiction capabilities
- Encourage security sector reform to reduce transnational crime and promote the alignment of law enforcement training and practices with EU standards
- Support the transformation of the Ukrainian military into a modern professional force that can train, equip, sustain and deploy NATO-interoperable forces
- Combat TIP and reintegrate victims back into society
Governing Justly and Democratically (GJD)
- Strengthen the rule of law and improve the effectiveness and independence of the judiciary to allow full integration into Euro-Atlantic community
- Fight corruption and improve the transparency, accountability and capacity of the parliament and local government entities
- Promote free and fair elections and strengthen political parties
- Bolster civil society, increase civic participation, and enhance NGOs’ ability to represent citizen interests and increase government accountability
- Strengthen independent media and increase access to objective information
Investing in People (IIP)
- Prevent and combat the spread of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and other health threats
- Improve the quality and access of maternal, child, and reproductive health care
Economic Growth (EG)
- Provide trade and investment assistance to address economic crisis
- Assist Ukraine to fulfill its World Trade Organization accession commitments
- Support security, increase independence and improve infrastructure of energy sector
- Build capacity, competitiveness and effectiveness of agricultural sector
Humanitarian Assistance (HA)
- Help alleviate suffering among vulnerable populations and respond to evolving emergencies by providing humanitarian assistance
- Helped the Government of Ukraine establish a sustainable system of victims of trafficking (VoT) identification, referral, and assistance. As a result, more than 250 newly registered VoTs received direct assistance with reintegration into society.
- Increased government transparency and responsiveness by assisting the parliament to conduct four parliamentary hearings, six committee hearings, two committee field hearings and 40 roundtables that included civil society participation.
- Assisted Ukraine in aligning prenatal practices with WHO recommendations and evidence-based medicine. As a result, enhanced prenatal care has improved quality and outcome of 47% of deliveries in Ukraine.
*This fact sheet does not reflect Peace Corps funding or centrally managed or regional Foreign Operations funding that is not specifically budgeted for Ukraine.