Foreign Operations Appropriated Assistance: Russia
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Coordinator's Office Annual Reports»
ASSISTANCE GOALS: The goal of United States Government (USG) programs in Russia is to encourage Russia’s development into a stable, democratic and reliable partner to address crucial global issues. USG programs promote cooperation in areas of common interest to strengthen ties between Russian organizations and their U.S. counterparts, and to support Russia in applying its vast resources and human capital to tackle domestic and international problems. The USG supports processes, organizations, institutions and activists that promote democracy and human rights in Russia’s challenging environment. Other assistance limits the proliferation of WMD material, helps government institutions conform more closely to international norms, and addresses major health concerns, such as HIV/AIDS and drug-resistant TB.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
Peace and Security (P&S)
- Increase U.S.-Russia cooperation to combat transnational crime and terrorism
- Collaborate on initiatives to combat trafficking in persons and to disseminate anti-drug education
- Promote civilian alternatives for WMD scientists to limit further proliferation
Governing Justly and Democratically (GJD)
- Promote civic participation and civil society development, including groups that advocate on behalf of citizen interests and promote government accountability
- Support independent media and increase access to information
- Reduce corruption, bolster the rule of law, and strengthen protections for and awareness of human rights standards
- Promote decentralization and more transparent, accountable and participatory local governance
- Increase electoral transparency and citizen participation in the political process
Investing in People (IIP)
- Limit the spread of infectious diseases by promoting adherence to international standards of care and educating the population about disease prevention
- Support initiatives to improve maternal health and to reduce infant and maternal mortality rates
- Contribute to child welfare reform and efforts to protect vulnerable populations
Economic Growth (EG)
- Collaborate with the Russian Federal Forest Agency on forestry management and climate change
- Support natural resource management reforms
- Supported civic advocacy campaigns which contributed to amendments to labor legislation and to the adoption of a law on Inclusive Education of Persons with Disabilities in Moscow.
- Provided technical support for legislation on pre-trial detention and economic crimes that Russian lawyers used to secure the release from incarceration of dozens of businesspeople.
- Supported TB treatment in Orel and Belgorod, two regions that achieved TB treatment success rates over 80 percent, the highest success rates in Russia.
- Delivered five plane loads of firefighting and protective equipment to assist efforts to minimize the impact of the devastating 2010 wildfires.
*This fact sheet does not reflect centrally managed or regional Foreign Operations funding that is not specifically budgeted for Russia.