Taken Question
Office of the Spokesman
Washington, DC
September 8, 2010

Question: Are there any laws or regulations regarding the issuing of visas to Chinese laborers to build the Martin Luther King monument if American workers are able to do the same work?

Answer: Immigration requirements vary for different visa classifications. For example, some visa categories, such as H-2, require the applicant to demonstrate through a labor certificate that no American workers are available. Other visa categories do not have that specific requirement, though each category sets out particular criteria and types of work activity permitted under that visa.

PRN: 2010/1220