Counternarcotics and Law Enforcement Country Program: Democratic Republic of Congo
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is a “rebuilding country” that has made some progress in addressing the political, economic, and social challenges since conducting historic democratic elections in 2006. The goal of the INL Border Security Program is to provide sustained assistance focused on developing capacities in border control, customs, and related policing efforts. The goal of the INL Sexual Gender Based Violence Policing Program is to strengthen the Congolese National Police’s (CNP) ability to successfully investigate incidents of sexual violence and bring the perpetrators of these crimes to justice.
- Border Security Program: Work to establish the Border Directorate in the Ituri District first began in October 2008. Selection and training of Congolese command leaders and border police trainers began in late 2009, and will provide the organizational structure and capacity necessary for institutional development and sustainment. Further development of the Congolese National Police and customs authority’s border control capability will be implemented with FY 2009 and FY 2010 INCLE funds.
- Sexual and Gender Based Violence Program: Develop the CNP’s ability to conduct basic law enforcement investigations, with an emphasis on SGBV crimes, through training exercises designed to build sustainable skills and abilities. Enhance the CNP’s logistical capabilities by providing the necessary tools to build law enforcement infrastructure, and raise public awareness as it pertains to rule of law. Forensic and technological advances such as database creation and addressing the unique needs of children in conflict with the law will follow (with bilateral funding) as basic law enforcement skill sets are achieved.
Funding FY 2008-2010
- FY 2008 - $1,488,000 (INCLE) + $2,100,000 (1207) = $3,588,000
- FY 2009 - $1,500,000 (INCLE) + $2,900,000 (1207) = $4,400,000
- FY 2010 - $1,700,000 (INCLE)
INCLE: International Narcotics Control and Law Enforcement Funds
1207: Section 1207 of the National Defense Authorization Act