Foreign Operations Appropriated Assistance: Southeastern Europe Regional Budget
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Coordinator's Office Annual Reports»
ASSISTANCE GOALS: The United States Government (USG) has a strong interest in assuring that the countries of Southeastern Europe overcome the legacy of the conflicts of the 1990s and achieve full integration into Euro-Atlantic institutions. U.S. Government (USG) regional assistance advances this goal by helping countries to work together on issues of common concern and restore links needed to make permanent the transition to democracy and market-based economies.
AREAS OF FOCUS:
Peace and Security (P&S)
- Support the Bucharest-based Southeast Europe Cooperative Initiative’s Regional Center for Combating Trans-border Crime (“SECI Center”), which facilitates information exchange and promotes joint operational efforts among member-states
- Provide U.S. support for the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s missions in the Balkan region
Governing Justly and Democratically (GJD)
- Support a joint history and reconciliation project to improve the quality of history teaching and counter the spread of divisive nationalist myths
- Strengthen the capacity and quality of independent media
- Conduct analyses which assess the capacity of local nongovernmental organizations to advance civic education, increase the transparency of national and local government, promote respect for human rights and the rule of law, and influence policy
Investing in People (IIP)
- Increase private sector partnerships for improved and sustainable delivery of family planning services and products
- Support bilateral efforts to prevent the trafficking of persons through the Transnational Referral Mechanism and by examining the relationship between domestic abuse and vulnerability to trafficking
Economic Growth (EG)
- Re-integrate markets in the region by reaching across borders to enhance the competitiveness of local producers and promote trade
- Promote regional financial transparency and economic integration through compliance with global financial reporting standards
- Support the Athens Energy Community and its effort to create regional electricity and gas markets integrated into the Western European energy market and sharing a sound regulatory framework
- With U.S. support, a regional network of investigative journalists in Southeast Europe uncovered credible evidence of corruption and crime, leading to arrests and prosecution.
- The U.S. technical assistance enhanced efforts by the Athens Energy Community, Energy Efficiency Task Force and energy planning network to improve the clean energy regulatory environment in southeastern Europe.
- Grants to independent media organizations increased access to diverse and objective information, promoted government accountability and transparency, and bolstered interethnic dialogue.
- Work continued, with U.S. support, to complete a toolkit designed to help advocates and policy makers address the barriers that hinder the delivery of drug addiction treatment services. The first instrument was piloted in Albania in 2009. The toolkit was completed in September 2010, and will be disseminated in the region FY 2011.