The Secretary of State has the authority to issue Presidential Permits for cross-border liquid (water as well as petroleum product) pipelines and other cross-border infrastructure. The Office of International Energy and Commodity Policy receives and processes permit applications.

If you plan to request a Presidential Permit for a cross-border liquid pipeline, please call 202-647-1291. (For information on the permit submitted for the Keystone TransCanada project, please see

In consultation with the Department of State, the Department of Energy is responsible for permitting cross-border electricity transmissions lines, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) issues cross-border natural gas pipeline permits.

E.O. 13337 of April 30, 2004