If a scroll bar appears below the following table, swipe the table to move left/right of the dashed line.
Date: 2015 Description: Photo shows a crude oil pipeline.    [U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration Image] Date: 01/2012 Description: Two black-footed ferrets peek out of a hole in the ground.   [Kimberly Tamkun/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Image] Date: 2012 Description: U.S.-Mexico border crossing symbol marks the border between the United States and Mexico.   [Josh Denmark/U.S. Customs and Border Protection Image]

The Secretary of State has the authority to issue Presidential Permits for cross-border liquid (water as well as petroleum product) pipelines and other cross-border infrastructure. The Bureau of Energy Resources receives and processes permit applications.

If you plan to request a Presidential Permit for a cross-border liquid pipeline, please call 202-647-2041, or submit your questions by e-mail to ENR_PipelinePresidentialPermit@state.gov.

In consultation with the Department of State, the Department of Energy is responsible for the permitting of cross-border electricity transmissions lines, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) issues cross-border natural gas pipeline permits.

E.O. 13337 of April 30, 2004

The Department of State uses third-party contractors to assist with preparing environmental documents. A “third-party contractor” is a contractor selected by and working under the sole direction of the Department, but whose work is funded by an applicant for a Presidential Permit. For more information on the Department’s processes for selecting third-party contractors and assessing potential conflicts of interest involving third-party contractors, see the following documents: