The Office of Medical Services (MED) issues a Certificate of Incapacity when a dependent is physically or mentally disabled and unable to be self-supporting and his/her sponsor must continue health insurance coverage. When the patient reaches the age of 22 the sponsor must submit additional medical documentation on the patient's condition so that the dependent can remain under the sponsor's (active/retired employee) health insurance coverage. The dependent may be given a temporary certificate or a permanent certificate. If the patient is issued a temporary certificate, approximately six months before the certificate expires, the sponsor must submit supporting medical documentation so that another certificate can be issued. If the patient is issued a permanent certificate, then no further action is needed.

For more information please contact:
Office of the Executive Director
(202) 663-1869

[This is a mobile copy of Certificate of Incapacity]

Short URL: