Before you and your spouse, partner or child can take advantage of all that the Foreign Service lifestyle has to offer, you will first need to follow a number of Department of State procedures to add your spouse, partner or child to your orders.

Adding a Spouse and Partner

For All Cases
Employee Marries an American Spouse
Employee Marries a Foreign National Spouse
Employee Partners with Same-Sex American or Foreign National Spouse
Employee Marries or Partners with American Foreign Service Employee (Tandem Employees)

Adding Other Family Members

Adding a Child to Your Orders (pdf)
Adding Parents to Your Orders (pdf)


Connecting with Spouse/Partner Programs