Foreign Service teens living overseas are often unable to get a driver’s license until they return to the United States. Obtaining a driver’s license requires a significant amount of time, training and experience.

Driver’s Education

  • Driver’s education, both classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel, varies in availability.
  • Since driver’s education is not uniformly offered or required in all U.S. public schools, its costs are not covered by the supplementary instruction education allowance.
  • Getting hands-on driving practice is difficult overseas, but it is possible to prepare for the driver’s license written exam. Before returning to the U.S., it is a good idea to obtain and review the handbook for the state where the prospective driver intends to acquire a license.
  • The Driver’s Manual or Driver’s Handbook publications are available from the Department of Transportation, the Motor Vehicle Administration or the Department of Motor Vehicles and provide a basic text for learning a state’s driving laws.
  • Traffic laws and driver requirements differ by state so check with the local DMV. Many states publish their manuals online. For a complete listing of DMV manuals click here.
  • Students will be required to have a certain number of hours behind the wheel, check with your local DMV.

Virginia - DMV:
For Driver's Licenses -

Maryland - DMV:
For Driver's Licenses -

District of Columbia - DMV:
For Driver's Licenses -

FLO Web links for College and Beyond

College and Beyond
Educational Travel Allowance
Scholarships, Financial Aid, and Student Internships
When a Child Becomes an Adult