Even if you are posted abroad, it is possible to work toward a graduate degree. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) measures skills acquired over a long period of time and that are not related to any specific field of study. The Computer Based Testing Program is offered at overseas locations.

For more information contact:

Graduate Record Examination
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6000
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
Tel: 609-771-7670 / Fax: 610-290-8975

Testing is available on a limited basis at temporary testing sites. Contact the GRE Regional Centers to verify test dates.

If you plan to apply to graduate school from overseas, make sure you have developed a list of people who will write letters of recommendation for you, including at least one academic reference. Writing samples and a work resume can be useful adjuncts to the application. Since most graduate schools require a stay on campus, choose a school in a location where you are likely to live or where you have studied previously.

Basic degree requirements and residency requirements may be posted on the program website, please be sure to review this information before applying.

Graduate Programs of Interest to Foreign Service Family Members

Navy Hill Graduate Programs. Registrations for the Webster University Graduate Programs offered on Navy Hill are currently open. This is an after-hours educational activity provided in partnership with the Navy and is offered at a reduced tuition rate to Department of State and Department of Navy employees and family members. Family members are responsible for all costs associated with the program.

Prospective students may contact an advisor at Bolling Air Force Base at (202) 561-4382 or visit the website. Department of State family members should register directly with the university. Program brochures are available in the Career Development Resource Center (CDRC) in SA-1.

General Resources

US News and World Report - America's Best Graduate Schools
Distance Graduate Schools - Online Graduate School Programs
Graduate Schools.com - Search by Subject

FLO Web links for Adult Education

Adult Education
Adult Education Programs
Teaching Overseas

Information provided by the Family Liaison Office
Contact the Family Liaison Office

[This is a mobile copy of Graduate Degrees]

Short URL: http://m.state.gov/mc21949.htm